Friday, April 22, 2011

Electronics & Janelle = Oil & Water

I really, really lucked out in that it was only two weeks until a new power cord arrived. Very grateful to Ed (the American tobacco company owner) who just so happened to be making a visit from his home in Miami. How was two weeks without any internet? Well of course I survived but, to be honest, at this point would be okay without a repeat! And yes I'm feeling extremely spoiled and a bit guilty in sharing that. Wait a second, it basically was a repeat! Can't believe I almost forget I went about two months without stable internet as soon as I first got to Batouri. Operating system wigged out on me. So much appreciation goes out to the PCVs that did exactly what i'm doing but left their families with little to no contact during their two years! No option for internet meant I did search out more time with friends in town to spend with in the afternoons which is enjoyable for me. However, a strict eye was kept on my watch and a countdown to Ed's arrival. He called me in the morning saying he arrived and by the afternoon I was watching cable tv (in english!), sipping a cold beverage, and spending the next 4 hours catching up with everything. A new record of internet time here for me. Its all about the little things and he very much indulges us while here:)

At the moment things in Batouri were going well, usual frustrations aside, so much that it was becoming predictably stable. That is to say I started feeling I was beginning to know what to get out from post. Hitting a potential stride might be in order! When Ed is in town we usually have a few dinners at his place and stay late talking and enjoying his company. It was again such an occurance and he had just dropped me off at my house when I entered and immediately sensed something amiss. My window had been broken and was wide open! While I was gone in the evening, somebody decided to slit the screen and force open my window to see what treasures they might find on my table-it was a lot of effort and apparently worthwhile for that person. My curtains are always closed when I am gone. They had no way of knowing that that particular morning when I was on my way out I decided last moment I didn't want my camera with me and took it out of my bag. Being too lazy to put it back in my room I left it on the corner of my table. Even though there are bars on my windows they had stuck a stick with a hook in through those bars and got away with my camera! I was unsettled encountering it by myself late at night. Jessica had traveled so I was unable to call her over. Spending the rest of the week dealing with the police, getting the necessary paperwork for insurance,and trying to arrange with my landlord to get my window fixed left me mentally exhausted. Usually I hate spending a lot of time at home at one time. I need to get out doing something or seeing people. Though this time I was very grateful for the rare event of electricity three days in a row and had no problem spending most of it at home recharging my batteries.

Well that situation is now in the past. I've moved on, but it is now added to my list of ever growing proof how electronics, Janelle, & Africa are like oil & water. This situation made me reflect just on what i've accumulated on that list! So much so I decided to share. Hopefully putting this out there might slow down any new additions that may be to come. Computer will be getting one thorough checkup when at home. Except for the situations in which I lost my cameras, I do find this amusing and hope you do as well. My dad and I shared a chuckle over the phone together when I shared this with him. In the near 11 months I have been in country I have:

- gone through and upgraded an operating system
- fried a computer cord
- gone through 4 telephones so much that i'm on 5 and counting
- had 2 cameras stolen and waiting to get my 3rd here soon when i head home
(insurance is worth it!)

Yep, like oil & water! Ugh(slapping hand to forehand and shaking head) the luck, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment